The “Hong Kong Youth 3D Animation Competition” (3DAC) was launched since 2008. It is now co-organized by our Centre and Cyberport. 3DAC aimed to provide opportunity for the younger generation to showcase their talent and develop their potentials in innovation, technology and design through the promotion of 3D animation technology and to enhance awareness in the community of the importance in creative education and creative industries. 3DAC receive great support from the industries, Autodesk® was the official software provider throughout the years providing free 3D software for participants to use; free 3D animation software training betweeen July and August is provided by Summit Technology (Hong Kong) every year. Top winners will have the opportunity to be nominated to undertake internship and visiting program in creative multi-media companies to experience their actual operation.
Hong Kong New Generation Cultural Association Science Innovation Centre、Hong Kong Cyberport Management Company Limited
Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education(IVE)
Official Software Provider
Autodesk Far East Limited
Innovation and Technology Commission、Summit Technology (HK) Limited、Synnex Technology International (HK) Limited、City University of Hong Kong、The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
1. To provide opportunity for the younger generation to showcase their talent and develop their potentials in innovation, technology and design through the promotion of 3D animation technology.
2. To enhance awareness in the community of the importance in creative education and creative industries.
Hong Kong Primary and Secondary students
Participant Briefing Session：22 June, 2013
Training Workshop：15-31 July, 2013
Deadline of Application and Entry Submission：25 October, 2013
Initial Judging： Early November, 2013
Final Judging and Prize Presentation Ceremony：30 November, 2013
The competition divide into 5 divisions
1. Primary Division (3D Still Image)
2. Secondary Division I (3D Still Image)
3. Secondary Division II (1 Minute Animation)
4. Secondary Division III (3 Minute Animation)
5. Secondary Division IV (Stereoscopic 3D Animation)
1. For Primary Division, students (must be primary students at the time of submitting the entry form) compete on individual basis.
2. For Secondary Division I (3D Still Image) targeting junior secondary students (F.1-3), students (must be junior secondary students at the time of submitting the entry form) compete on individual basis.
3. For Secondary Divisions II, III & IV, students (must be secondary students at the time of submitting the entry form) compete on individual basis or in teams of 2 to 4 students. Students of the same team can come from different forms.
4. For Secondary Division IV(Stereoscopic 3D Animation), registrants are required to have experience in operating 3D software or participation in relevant 3D animation competition.
Note: Each participant/team must be led by a teacher or parent. Each teacher or parent may lead more than one participant/team but each participant can join one team only. Each participant/team can only submit one entry.。
Your hero can be anyone, such as world leader, family member, neighbour, friend or even fictitious character or animal, in your life. The theme of this year’s competition is “My Hero” and you are invited to join the 3D Animation competition sharing or creating your own Hero with us.
1. The entry must be composed with a 3D software.
2. The entry must be composed with graphics. Graphics with text effects such as “BANG!!!”, “Wow!!” are acceptable.
3. Subtitle cannot be included.
4. No voice over dialogue is allowed.
5. To ensure fairness, the identity of the school and the participants (e.g. insignia and name of school, name of participants, etc.) cannot be shown in any format in the entry submission.
6. All entries must be original, have never been released and do not infringe any rights (including copyright) of others.
7. The entry must not contain any objectionable, indecent or defamatory contents.
1. There will be one 1st Place Award, two 2nd Place Award, three 3rd Place Award and Merit Awards (depending on the number of submission) for each division. One Gold, Silver and Bronze Award will be presented to winners in Secondary Division IV(Stereoscopic 3D Animation). Various special awards will also be presented.
2. Special Award：
- Best Youth 3D Animator
- Best Image Design
- Best Editing
- Best Sound Effect
- Best Visual Effects
- Best Creativity
- Best Performance
- Outstanding 3D School(Each for secondary and Primary school, award to school that submit most quality entries)
3. Winners will be awarded with trophies, certificates and prizes
4. Winning entries may be made into 3D figures
5. Winners will have the opportunity to undertake internship and visiting program in creative multi-media companies
6. Outstanding entries will be broadcasted in “InnoCarnival 2013”
7. Certificates will be awarded to participating students and teachers as recognition
Criteria of Outstanding 3D School
Criteria Marks (per entry)
Valid Entry 1mark
Merit award 5marks
3rd Place award 10marks
2nd Place award 20marks
1st Place award 30marks
Complete the Entry Form and
a. return it to the HKNGCA Science Innovation Centre( 21 Hong Kin Road, Tui Min Hoi Area, Sai Kung)
b. fax to 2792 0286
c. email to email@example.com
Early-bird Registration for Schools
On-school animation training workshop will be provided for schools with over 20 participating students and equipped with appropriate computing facilities (available in weekdays between 24 June and 5 July 2013 only).
Autodesk 3ds Max: http://usa.autodesk.com/3ds-max/system-requirements/
Autodesk Maya: http://usa.autodesk.com/maya/system-requirements/
1. Science Innovation Centre will contact participants to participate the compeition through email
2. No application fee for 3DAC
3. The entry should be submitted together with its source files and must be stored in a DVD. The file must be named by the entry title which must also be clearly specified on the DVD. Venue for submission:HKNGCA Science Innovation Centre, 21 Hong Kin Road, Tui Min Hoi Area, Sai Kung (Please mark “Hong Kong Youth 3D Animation Competition 2013” on the letter cover)
4. No entries will be returned. Participants should make copies of their own, if deemed necessary.
Create Hong Kong of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region provides funding support to the project only, and does not otherwise take part in the project. Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in these materials/events (or by members of the project team) do not reflect the views of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.